The countdown to my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, has officially begun, which means the planning process is now in motion. Much like a vacation, I think I get more pleasure out of the planning and anticipation of the day than the feast itself (though that is a big part of it too). And the better planned your vacation, or Thanksgiving meal, the more smoothly and therefore enjoyable the day will be.
My family is pretty traditional when it comes to the turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, so I usually like to experiment with some of the sides and appetizers. These Crispy Acorn Squash Dippers with Chipotle Cranberry Sauce that I made on a recent Sunday afternoon while
dozing through watching football would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving menu. They’re simple and can be made in advance (make the sauce a day ahead and just bake off the squash an hour before you’re ready to eat), so that’s one less thing to stress about when you’re juggling the turkey, potatoes, and pies. The tangy and spicy sauce perfectly complements the slightly sweet and nutty squash. Even better, they’re nice and light so you won’t feel weighed down before you even dig in to the big ol’ bird.
Or, if you want some extra inspiration in finding the perfect recipe or planning your Thanksgiving meal, you can contact me – I’d love to make your day even more delicious!
Crispy Acorn Squash Dippers & Chipotle Cranberry Sauce
2 acorn squash, cut into 1/2″ thick rounds
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup panko
8 sage leaves, chopped
3 egg whites, beaten
2/3 cup fat-free greek yogurt
2 tbsp half-and-half
1/3 cup cranberry sauce
10-20 dashes chipotle hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Peel the skin off the squash if desired.
- In a medium bowl, combine the spices, flour, cornmeal, panko, and sage. Season with salt & pepper.
- Dredge the squash rounds in the egg and then coat in the panko mixture.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Flip and bake 20 minutes more until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the greek yogurt, half-and-half, cranberry sauce, and hot sauce until smooth.
- Serve the dippers hot or at room temperature with the sauce.