For this week’s Kevin Cooks post we had planned to make Panko & Mustard Crusted Salmon. But life got in the way and we just didn’t have time to make it out to Wegman’s (I like to do the majority of my food shopping at Trader Joe’s since it’s so cheap, but save the fancier items, like fresh seafood, for Wegman’s). I was pretty wiped out yesterday after a big catering order, so Kevin stepped it up and made his signature dish: Spicy Sausage & Peppers. It’s very simple, only has about 5 ingredients, and we usually end up making it every week for those exact reasons. It’s a great go-to dish that’s quick enough for when you don’t really feel like cooking, but filling & flavorful enough to fill like you still had a complete meal. As Kevin described it last night, “It tastes just like Yankee Stadium!”, which is probably another reason why this is one of Kevin’s signature dishes. Not that I’m complaining.
Spicy Sausage & Peppers
1 cup couscous
2 tbsp olive oil
2 green peppers, cut into strips
1 onion, cut in half & sliced into half moons
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, divided
1 package sweet Italian sausage, cut into chunks
1. Cook couscous according to package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions. Season with salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. Cook until the peppers just start to blister, about 6 minutes, then cover and let the veggies continue to cook, about 5 minutes more.
3. Remove the veggies to a plate. Add the sausage to the skillet with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes. Cook to sear the outside of the sausage, about 5 minutes. Then cover and continue to cook 5 more minutes until cooked through.
4. Add the veggies back into the skillet. Toss to combine and let cook for another 2-3 minutes for the flavors to come together.
5. Fluff the couscous onto plates and top with sausage & peppers. Play ball!