Though I love Halloween, now that it’s come and gone, I’m already getting excited for Thanksgiving preparations. (For those of you wondering, we ended up dressing up as Crazy Ira & The Douche, mainly because we could wear hooded sweatshirts and backwards hats. Though one mom told her kid not to be afraid of us because we were just “teenagers”. Must have been the backwards hat.) This Black Rice Salad with Sweet Potato & Kale would be the perfect side to add to your Thanksgiving table this year. Even though my family prefers more traditional Thanksgiving dishes, you can’t deny that this dish is the perfect combination of fall colors and flavors!
2 cups black rice, uncooked
10 oz kale, ribs removed and cut into ribbons
2 large sweet potatoes or 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Fill a large skillet with about a cup of water. Bring to a boil and add the kale. Cook until just wilted. Drain water from the kale and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and brown sugar and cook until tender and slightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, and dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
5. When the potatoes are cooked, add the kale and rice to the skillet. Pour in the maple vinaigrette. Stir to combine and top with pumpkin seeds.