I have a very acute sense of smell. This makes walking down the streets of New York or riding the subway a very colorful olfactory experience. While this means I have to suffer through the stink of my neighbor’s trash from down the hall or the sweaty guy across gym, I also enjoy the many salivating smells of food, no matter how faint they may be.
I think it’s because of my sensitive nose that I’ve always had a soft spot for especially stinky foods: blue cheese, truffles, tuna salad. Maybe it’s that the stinkier it is, the more intense the flavors are? I was a little self conscious to make this Bacon, Sweet Potato & Egg Salad for lunch this week for fear of offending my coworkers. But the first bite reassured me that I shall eat what I please, no matter how stinky it may be (just as long as I have a breath mint saved for later)!
This egg salad makes a perfect versatile brown-bag lunch. You can sub out the bacon and sweet potatoes with whatever veggies you have on hand. So don’t be ashamed of your favorite stinky foods, because they are often the most delicious!
Bacon, Sweet Potato and Egg Salad
makes 4-5 lunch servings
8 slices turkey bacon (or whatever bacon you prefer), diced
2 small-medium sweet potatoes, peeled and small diced
4 tbsp mayonnaise
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 head butter lettuce, roughly chopped or shredded
1. Place eggs in a saucepot and add enough cold water to cover the eggs. Cover pot and heat over high heat until just boiling. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 13 minutes.
2. After 13 minutes, rinse eggs under cold water, peel and roughly chop. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook bacon until it starts to crisp up. Add the sweet potato and continue cooking until bacon is cooked and potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice and dill. Set aside.
5. When the potatoes and bacon are finished cooking, combine in a medium-sized bowl with eggs and dressing. Serve over butter lettuce for a well-rounded meal.